Parks Around Town and Beautiful Half-Naked Men.

Good evening ladies and gents,

It's Tuesday night and I'm writing about the past weekend. Because the past weekend was fun and I thought I would have more to add concerning last night (Monday) but that turned out to be untrue. But that's life and I'm not mad about it.

I'd been looking forward to Saturday since Thursday when I received an invitation from a darling partner in crime of mine, who I met at church ironically, to go to a picnic in Central Park. Of course I went because how can you in your right mind refuse a Central Park invitation? Not to mention one that was on Sabbath, with other people from one of the churches I semi-frequently attend.

Sunny weather Neen
Love that dress to death

Central Park from the north side

Vegetarian food galore

It was great. I met new people, hung out outdoors, and possibly got hit on by this older (at least 30) guy. You know what I've found is wrong with today's society, among many other things I'll not go into at this time, a girl can't tell if a guy is trying to hit on or flirt with you or if he simply just has nice manners and is being friendly. It's so hard to read between the lines. I think there should be a neon sign on everyone's forehead, forewarning everyone of their intentions so we're all clear on the situation. Wouldn't that be something?

Saturday night I was supposed to go to a concert in Prospect Park but I left so late, and after calculating set times, etc. on the train, I realized I would arrive just as everything was coming to a close, if not actually closed already. So I just headed home instead.

It didn't matter much about missing the concert, even though it sucked, because that same darling troublemaker of mine and I were planning on seeing Magic Mike Sunday night. And oh me oh my. I don't want to ruin it for anyone still on the fence about seeing it BUT I will say this, if anyone would like to join me in a roadtrip down to Georgia to find out if a certain (mostly African American) male-entertainer subscription-only house exists, we're planning on leaving next month. It'll be the birthday excursion of a lifetime.

Practically lost my mind in that theater and every moment of it was marvelous

I'm going to digress for a moment or two here so just bear with me. I completely understand why quite a few critics have been saying Magic Mike doesn't have a plot and what's the point of a film with no plot, etc. It kind of doesn't. You walk out of the theater thinking, 'Wait, so besides lots and lots of beautiful bodies, exactly what just happened?' The answer is, in the plot department anyway, not much. What's so beautiful about the film however is it spends it's time celebrating other things. One generously recurring theme was that women need to not only be appreciated by their men, they need to appreciate themselves. They need to love themselves. We need to see ourselves as "the queens we are" as Jada Pinkett Smith's foxy, don't-take-no-mess character said. She did amazing as well by the way. Another theme was male camaraderie. Just guys, hanging out, being guys, without the pressure of the film trying to have almost every single one of them wifed up by the end of the film. I truly appreciated that not being the goal at all. One of the few critiques I did have was at the end. The mirror dance with Channing and Stephen Boss (look him up). I was craning my neck to see more of Stephen because Channing was getting all the glory. Not to say that Channing didn't do his fair share of work to get the glory, but I mean Stephen wasn't messing around either. I loved loved loved that way more men of color were included in this film. They even had speaking roles and everything! Can you believe it? AND, my cute-as-a-button Donald Glover did not disappoint. He can croon to me shirtless any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. Needless to say, for a multiplicity of reasons, my friend and I were truly #blessed by the film that evening.

Midtown glory

Before having a happy, very lively, enough-to-make-it-hard-to-concentrate reunion with good ol' Mike and co, I was a good girl and did some laundry before going to the park for a bit. This park on Sunday was the one near my house, the walking distance one. It's absolutely adorable and I love it. It's probably my favorite simply because it's closest.

The goods

The weather was great, the food I brought was good. I even brought out my camera and practiced shooting. I haven't in months now and I realized I should have taken it with me to Central Park but by the time that idea occurred, I was already halfway to the train. And since I was carrying two almost liter sized drinks and it was warm and humid, there was no way I was going back. All in all I had nothing to complain about. Until I found what looks and feels like a mosquito bite on my arm yesterday morning. Oh well, a park is a park is a park is outdoors. You deal with it.

**I'll edit this later to add some photos from my camera if any of them are worth sharing. I don't have to time to sort through them at present.

The excitement that could have happened last night concerned my attendance at a young professionals event in the city but I ditched it and went to the gym instead. Can't have my body rebelling on me just because it's summer and there's delicious food everywhere. Also, it was a cocktail type situation and you have no idea how tiring it gets explaining why I don't drink.

The only things coming up this weekend will be a possible Brooklyn Night Bazaar visit (FINALLY) and lunch with an older lady friend of mine (I worded it like that on purpose, eat it up).

Until next time lovelies,
xx

PS. I bought this welcome mat. It says Go Away. I love it.


PSS. I saw this while walking to the grocery store today. I loved it too.


PSS. I saw this on the way to Home Depot yesterday. I would not be mad if this there my mailbox.


Comments

Popular Posts