Nina the Semi-Explorer?

I woke up in a series on Monday before I actually got up and out of bed. With the small problem of my inability to reach anyone on the telephone, I got dressed and set out into the world. Not 10 minutes into my wanderings into a nearby souk (market), I turned around because a young man, of the many who called out to me as a tourist to come into their shop, ran after me, and tapped my shoulder, determined I would come see his wares. As a New Yorker, I like to pride myself on my ability to ignore people yelling at you in the street but my attempts to brush this guy off and continue my search for a morning coffee and a phone got me nowhere. Before I knew it, I was following him into a pretty spectacular carpet shop.


Rooftop views


Marrakech on a cloudy day

A weaver weaving

Just a man and his foot pedals

I was shown not only the carpets but also the view of Marrakech from the roof of the shop as well as a man actually sitting at a loom weaving carpet from scratch. I learned that rugs and carpets are not necessarily made with specific patterns or colors in mind but rather, weavers use whatever they have available to them. This is what makes Moroccan rugs so one-of-a-kind.


Piled and stacked everywhere



So. Many. Rugs.

Add caption

Ceremonial wedding rug a bride spends years making in preparation

FYI getting married now...

Tea!!

After showing me all this, the kind young gentleman then invited me for tea. I'd read that locals in Marrakech and Morocco in general were friendly and prone to invite you for tea so I wasn't too taken aback or nervous despite being a solo traveling female. That mint tea was some of the best tea I've ever had. I'll give you a hint on how to make it, it's all in the brewing.

As we sat and drank our tea, the young man decided he was going to show me some things. Being a local, he wanted me to see the great parts of the surrounding souk and has he had some pretty incredible job freedom, we finished the tea, my blanket and pillow case purchases were packaged up and set aside, and off we went. So much for exploring... I did appreciate having a local to guide me though so it wasn't the worst thing that could have happened. I also had reason to be incredibly grateful because, he let me use the shops phone. I was able to call and get my ride scheduled for the beach the next day!

We went from a shop selling lanterns to a carpenter with utensils that smelled of the wood they were crafted from to a store with clothing upon which I enforced a mandatory pause. I hadn't planned on buying much in the way of garments in Morocco but I most certainly would not leave without at least one article for my closet.

Outfitted in the "Magic dress" that is actually only 1 large piece of cloth with a belt tied around my waist

Metalworks

Lanterns!


Get yourself a good lock

This was about 4 and a half feet tall

Favorite

Bet you couldn't make this in your 7th grade ceramics class

Wood-scented spatulas and spoons

Chess, made entirely from scratch

A different kind of game closet

Marble and wood works


Boxes you never knew you needed

Jewelry I was fully aware I needed

Let's play "Can You Spot the Fake Cartier?"

I ended up with a gorgeous, loose black and gold embroidered dress, a pair of harem pants and long shirt akin to a dashiki. When purchasing the dashiki-esque shirt, the shop-owner looked at me and said, "I have bad news for you, this is for men." I do'nt see why men get some of the best patterns and I was planning to wear the shirt at home anyway (it dusts the floor when I wear it) so I looked at him and said, "How much?"

It was a lot to take in and fairly swift so as not to get pulled into anyone's shop and be forced to buy something I didn't actually want, but to say the least, I still loved every moment of it.

After going through a labyrinth of stores and picking up some jewelry at the last one, my tour guide asked if I was hungry. ALl that shopping and my never having coffee made me realize, I hadn't actually eaten all day. We headed to Cafe Epices which is vegetarian friendly and travel-guide recommended.

Roof views are mandatory in Morocco

These recommendations I can assure you, are not without warrant, the food was very good and the coffee superb.  


1st coffee of the day at 3pm

Tangines!

One aspect of Morocco I didn't get to enjoy as much as some others may be able to was the food. Seeing as I'm vegetarian and don't alter my eating habits while on vacation, my choices in a country that focuses lots of energy on chicken, beef and fish, were limited. I wasn't expecting this but honestly, the coffee made up for it seeing as I had it almost everywhere I went.


My tour guide realized he needed to go back to work but he sent me off in the direction of an interesting tourist spot, Bahia Palace.

The entrance

A foyer to end all outdoor foyers

They say "Always look up" but in Morocco, make sure to also always look down. The flooring and tiles make such interesting designs

Obligatory "Look Up" shot

Palace decor

Gardens

DECOR

Even the doors...
Always Look Up

Always Look Down

Small gold accents

It was when I arrived here that I realized I was walking through the palace backwards



Grill detail

Casual fountain

Yes please

YES. PLEASE.

Did I mention you should always look up?


Well hello


On my way back from the palace trip, I stopped by a spice shop to buy some mint tea. I bought a half a kilo. No, I didn't realize just how much tea that actually is. I now have a LOT of mixed green and mint tea.

My tour guide and I were supposed to meet up later so I went back to my riad to rest, restock my funds, and get ready for whatever else the evening may bring.

Could sit on that covered patio forever

Once he arrived, he picked me up and we went to this vegan/vegetarian (yes, I'd informed him) cafe called Earth Cafe. That meal was decidedly better than the one I'd had earlier in the day. 

Earth Cafe eats
After dinner, we walked around Jemaa al-Fnah which is a large market square in which performers, street-sellers and entertainers gather both during the day and at night.

Though I hadn't had quite the day I expected in wandering around by myself, I did get to see a lot more of the authentic city than I might have been able to see otherwise, not to mention getting to interact with locals and see what Marrakech was actually like. The amount of colors and prints and embroidery in that city alone is absolutely amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts