Morocco, Here I Come

Hello hello,

Long time no speak, how have you all been?
One of my New Year's resolutions (if you can call it that), is to travel more. And boy have I been committing to it. Late last year, I decided to go on a trip for spring break the way undergrads do, except keep it classy and go somewhere I've always wanted to go. After some thought, I decided on Morocco.
Planning began in January and after a small hiccup (I went from going on the trip with a friend to going solo), it was finally time to go!

I slept most of the day of March 11th in preparation for the 6-hour time difference between Morocco and New York that I was about to experience after traveling for around 11 hours straight, including an overnight from New York to Portugal, then from there to Morocco. I was so sleep deprived while it Portugal, it was difficult to physically keep my eyes open and stay alert in the airport. The flight from New York wasn't too bad, save for the fact that my sear back didn't recline (the button was broken), so I had to curl up into other strange positions to try and get comfortable. I watched "Birth of a Nation" and "Arrival" during the flights because we don't pass up free in-flight entertainment. In retrospect, it was an interesting life choice to watch 2 movies instead of at least attempting to sleep but it was worth it in the end. I wouldn't have slept anyway. I'm too light a sleeper and it only comes in snatches.

Bathroom selfies

Portuguese planes

You have to walk outside from the airport to the plane

I finally arrived in Marrakech and now I truly regret not taking a photo of the driver holding a sign with my name. It was a great moment really and I felt like someone semi-famous.



Marrakech Menara airport

Moroccan light lookin' like a filter

He took me to a car park, then another man took me on foot to the riad I was staying at for the duration of the trip. A riad, which means garden or paradise in the Quran, is the equivalent of what you think of when you imagine a house. They can of course, vary in size. I had to be taken there on foot from the car park because it was not possible to reach it by car, as I later learned quite a few things are. Marrakech is a city of motor bikes, scooters and pedestrians.

After tipping him, signing the rental papers and being handed the keys, I set down my things and really explored my new little abode. It was a two-story house with two bedrooms, one upstairs and one down, a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, a patio and garden area, a terrace upstairs and a rooftop space as well. Don't worry, you'll see the rooftop later.

Front door

You don't understand how much I loved this bathroom

All stone and bronze


View from bed

View out the window

This amazing bed

Open hallways

Large garden and patio area inside the walls of the 2-story house

General area

Grill detail

Simple but appropriate decor

In short, I absolutely loved it. It was cute and well, but sparsely, furnished. There was no excess or need for extra and I really wish I could model my own living space in New York in the same way but that's another New Years Resolution for another year. Also, the riad constantly smelled wonderful with what I later learned was the scent of fresh orange blossom. It was like it was being piped in through the crevices. There was also lots of open air and space since all the windows had glass panes that opened as well.

I went back out a couple minutes after arriving to get food before it got too dark in this area I knew absolutely nothing about, having arrived in the late evening on the 12th. All I could really find was some bread and a patisserie (bakery) and a shop with eggs but no one to sell them to me.

After having my evening snack and a nap, I realized I didn't actually have a way to call anyone including the driver I wanted to book to take me to the beach city of Essaouira on Tuesday. A slight panic ensued but subsided after a while. The idea of going to the restaurant I saw while out on my short walk and politely asking to use their phone hit me so I hedged my bet on that and unpacked.

I showered to get the feeling of travel off me before going to bed and it was possibly one of the greatest showers I've ever had. Every surface in the bathroom was made of stone and continuously cool to the touch. I would very much like to have that little bathroom transplanted into my apartment in New York (everything except the floors, please and thank you!).

Before going to bed, I connected with the wifi, let my mom and some friends back in New York know I'd made it okay before setting the plans to really begin my vacation. Monday was going to be a day of exploration on foot and I couldn't wait.

Comments

Popular Posts