You and I Scraped the Pavement With a Stone

If any of you had called me last night, it would have gone a little something like this:
"Last night, I couldn't even get an answer
I tried to call, but Nina's phone had died
And I'm sitting here, with this blank expression
I looked at the time, guess I'll try again tomorrow"

Two points extra if you remember that song.
But anyway, yes, I was out until all hours of the morning last night. And yes, my phone did die on me. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

So yesterday, excepting one small portion of work, was simply fabulous. And it only improved more as the night went on. So work was work. I was starving at lunch so instead of eating what I planned, I went to this place that was supposed to rival Chipotle and got a burrito. It was good and all, but at least if I'd gone to Chipotle I would have been full when I was done.

Courtesy of GuacStar but their guac was only okay

Finally work ended and I was on my way. Where you ask? To see The Dig (it's a band guys) perform at Baby's All Right. Instead of taking the train and having nearly two and a half hours to kill after that, I decided I would walk there so I could walk across the Williamsburg Bridge. I hadn't been over there since Krista visited and I thought it would be some nice cardio for the day. I was right. It was great. So refreshing being out there and just walking, seeing different parts of my city, the backdrop of the sun setting on Manhattan. Lovely.

Kind of love this bridge now

Gotham at sunset

Got the whole family chillin'

I also enjoyed a delicious black and white cookie that did not manage to get photographed. But I mean really, you all know what black and white cookies look like. It was big. That's it.

After finally arriving at Baby's, and it being not even 6:30, I walked around for a while more, contemplating buying some food and after a while I just went back to Baby's and sat at the bar. A girl can only do so much walking and standing around and plus it was dark outside. The catcalls were rolling in and I was not, nor am I ever, looking for or appreciating it. One older Italian man walked past me and I thought he looked adorable. You know, semi-ratty cardigan, loose slacks, white tank under and dress shoes with a fedora to top it off. It was almost like Vito Corleone but a little skinnier and with glasses. Then he watched me while I walked by and said, fairly loudly, "Sweet thing." That was the end of my thinking he was adorable.

Anyway, so this woman and I chatting while lined up at the door at 8 waiting to be let in and some guys walk up to the table I'm leaning against and start organizing merch on it. I hadn't done all of my research and wasn't 100% sure what the members of The Dig looked like but I was 100% sure that the guy organizing shirts and CDs next to me was one. I made a suggestion about the CDs because everything he tried was just not working out. And what do you know, Nina's suggestion worked. It was awesome just chatting a little too. Finally, doors opened and we were let in. Because of how ridiculously early I was, I was literally standing two feet from the stage. Being that close has it's perks but now all my photos are weird. And who completely forgot to tote her DSLR until she saw people taking photos on the Williamsburg Bridge? This girl. How horrible.

Bands that played:


Sea Life

The guy on the left was so beautiful I can't even begin to tell you. He had the most gorgeous blue eyes and vintage Bill Cosby-looking pullover sweater and every time he and the guy in the center started seriously jamming during a song I got concerned they were going to run into each other, guitars in hand and someone would end up breaking something. (run-on sentence of the ages) Also, their music was phenomenal and phenomenally dreamy. I've got to look them up and download some stuff.

Sorry for the sucky photo...

Youngman Grand

This band was much more moody and loud-ish, never told us their name and simply played, said thank you, then left. But they were fantastic. They had an attractive blue-eyed member as well. You know how sometimes you're listening to music and it more or less forces you to move. Like you couldn't help it if you tried but why would you want to? Yeah, that happened to me with this band. I will be downloading lots of new music this weekend it would seem.



Modern Rivals

By this time I was just ready for the The Dig to come to be honest because it was already like 10 something and these guys were playing eight songs. Three opening bands when a show starts 20-minutes late is not a good idea. As you can tell, I was a little biased against them by the time they came one. They were still quite good though. Maybe not as much as the first two but still. Their sound was something akin to Fools Gold or Peace if you know who they are. Very indie pop, heavy on the pop.

Then finally, The Dig happened.
And what do you know, the guy the woman who was waiting for doors and I been talking to about merch set-up and this other guy who had been standing next to or behind me for the majority of the previously described events walked up on stage with two other gents and started plugging in. May I just take this moment to tell you, The Dig's drummer is the most beautiful bald-headed young man I think I've ever seen. It was hard not to stare at him.



Moving on. They played my absolute favorite song by them and it only made me love them more. Then they played other songs and everyone loved them more. Then I realized that the girl next to me was only like 18 and definitely rolling. She trampled my foot and even though I was already in a mood by the time, it actually did hurt.

I learned his name is James. This is the guy I was chatting a smidge with. Bam.

Unintentional psychedelic photo effects

James and the guy on the right is Emile

After the fantastic-ness and the encore that included a brilliant Sinead O'Connor cover, it was a little before 12:30 and I knew I was in for it. I said goodbye to the woman I had been chatting with earlier and headed out the door. So many beautiful bearded men were in the place last night. Amen indeed.

While I was walking along, literally hadn't even made it more than a block, I hear someone saying, "Excuse me miss?" Immediately I thought, 'Oh good heavens, what?!' I turned around and there were two nice looking young men looking at me. One, whose name I later learned was Dave, asked me about a theory about the ability to learn to do realistic life drawings in three weeks posited by the other one, Thomas aka Tom. After we all stood around and discussed this, they asked me if I wanted to come with them to a jazz club a block down the street I was already going down anyway. I declined becuase of the hour. We stood around and talked more and they invited me again. Now I know what you're thinking, 'These guys just randomly started talking to her and invited her places and what if she goes and something horrible aka RAPE happens because you know that's always what happens in these stories during this part and oh my goodness poor Nina!!!!!' No. That's not what happened. Nina has better judgment of character than that, thank you. The second time they offered I said sure. They were really nice, smart and engaging, close to me in age and Dave is from Pasadena (New York-transplants via California unite!!). We went to the jazz club but lo and behold it was closed. So we went down a little further to this bar where they actually let you bring your dog inside. Williamsburg is an interesting place. So we're there, we're talking, they're drinking beer, I'm drinking a Coke. They were telling me some pretty interesting points about working at a start-up company and how going to grad school doesn't always pay off/pan out the way one would hope. I don't know how much I agree with them but loking at them both as far as how successful they are, I can see the logic behind it. Thoughts to keep in mind (pun intended).

Then suddenly I looked at my watch and it was 5 minutes to 1:30am. We were next up to play shuffle board but I already knew I would be regretting staying out that late the next morning (aka today). After explaining the situation in a little more depth, there were hugs all around and I will never understand why we didn't exchange contact info to hang out later. Oh well. That by no means negates the fact that I had a fabulous night. And then! Walking to the train in Williamsburg after 1:30am is a little creepy. Mostly because all these guys kept walking past and saying stupid stuff. Then one guy in particular walked past and asked me something about a party or did I know where to party or did I know of a party or something about a party, who knows, who cares. I never stopped walking, politely said no, went along on my way. Then from behind me I hear, "What you don't talk that talk? (I have no idea what that was supposed to mean) Something something party? Drink?! Weed?!" In my opinion, one response was enough. If I told you no, do me a favor, shut up and keep walking. I was not under any circumstances about to turn around and make him think I was acknowledging his further screamed requests but this is when I got a little more genuinely cnocerned. I couldn't tell for sure, because as I said I was NOT going to turn around and look, but it sounded for a little bit like he had begun to follow me. Being a female. The thought of being followed in a neighborhood that's not my own, or any neighborhood for that matter. To say that being female, having that instinctive feeling, and knowing your iPhone only has 8% left is startling is an understatement. I was actually a bit nervous. The streets weren't desolate or anything thank goodness so I wasn't entirely alone. But I was still alone. By the grace of God though, the sounds behind me stopped and a minute later I was fine. Half a minute after that first minute I was going down the stairs into the train station. So in case you were wondering, yes I'm fine.

An hour and 45 minutes later, I walked into my apartment and toppled onto the bed, dead iPhone in hand. So yes, I did miss out on Scandal AND How To Get Away With Murder but it's all alright because you can feel it but you don't understand, you want to love yourself again. (lyrics guys, just go with it) What an eventful Thursday night indeed.

Souvenir

Until next time lovelies,
xx

PS. Come back Sunday/Monday for my run down of the last concert of Nina's concert season, The Generationals.

Comments

Popular Posts