A California Week in a Not New York Minute.

Hey hey hey,
How in heavens name are you all? Well enough about you... I'm going to consolidate this past week into one massively huge post because otherwise, we would literally be here all day. This is still going to be a long post so prefer yourself and grab something to drink.

You already know about my flight Thursday so I'll start with Friday.

Friday: I had breakfast with my mom and cousin who flew out with me before running all around southern and middle Orange County getting ready for the next day. Breakfast was this:

Bowl of Heaven goodness

It was quite tasty but really filling. The only thing that sucked about it was that it filled you up but ann hour later, you were hungry again. So after brekky, I went with my cousin to return his rental car AKA became his chauffeur for the rest of the weekend. After that, headed to Fully to pick up grad stuff then back home to hang out and touch up my continuously chipping nails, make sure my outfit was spectacular, etc. End scene.


Open- Saturday, graduation: So I woke up at 5am and that in and of itself deserves recognition. After getting ready and doing my hair in this ridiculous style that turned out to be a fabulous idea thought up by my mother, off we went. We got to school in pretty good time but of course, since there was no practice or anything, I had no idea where to go. Only once we were mere steps away from the field, and most likely my figuring out where I needed to be, did I realize I'd left my name card in the car. While my cousin and mother so kindly ran (actually, walked, not even speed walked, just regular paced) back to my car to get it, I was interviewed by a young lady with the OC Register. I thought this was very ironic considering I don't even live in California anymore. Here's a link to the article but I'm not mentioned in it at all so that's cool. After receiving my card finally and figuring out, thanks to Nicole, where to go, I lined up with a friend I spotted. Fast forward 45 minutes and she and I, along with some guy we met in line, are sitting there cracking jokes throughout the hour and something long commencement ceremony. The speaker kept talking about bald eagles and how this was the halftime of our lives so that was...interesting. Not terrible all in all though.  Can I just tell you? It was hot. Like ridiculously so. And having to wear a black gown over my spectacular ensemble wasn't helping. It even made me almost question my ensemble decision. Key word: almost. Later, I decided it was one of the best decisions of the day. Speaking of my ensemble, here it is, in all it's glory and living color.

That right there is a jumpsuit with Aldo heels and amen for them

Once I could open that gown it was all good. I was also mentioned for having graduated with honors, because I graduated with honors. :) You can't see them for the leigh but I had on three medals and two sashes which translated into my wearing a million things around my neck and jangling all day long. I was so incredibly glad to receive that leigh. I love getting flowers but people hardly ever give them to me. Or maybe people just don't give them to anyone in general really unless you're dating? Real life mysteries. Also, people literally went all out with decorating their caps. I only did something last minute while sticking to my slight minimalist personality so my family would be able to find me in the stands, etc. Shout out to my cuzz for handling my camera even with my forgetting to let him experiment with it beforehand. Here's some outtakes from le jour:

Veronica and I, during the actual college ceremony, on stage lol

Favorite cap decor 

My cap decor

We go hard in the paint

Family ties. Family pride.

After all that hoopla, and meet and greets with the fam and Krista, we headed off to church where I scandalously sat showing almost my entire back and said hi to some good folks. #NOSHAME 

Later, I headed off to a reunion/celebratory dinner with the crew at, of course, the Cheesecake Factory. It was lovely to see everyone and we had a lot of good laughs. I was also repeatedly advised to date a very close, and unanimously voted highly attractive, friend of mine who also happened to be in attendance. Ironic because I could probably never say no to that kid anyway. But moving on...

Nachoooo

After that we saw 'Neighbors' and oh my goodness you guys ZACH EFRON SHIRTLESS THO. That's basically all I have to say about that movie. That and Dave Franco with glasses vs Dave Franco without glasses is just too beautiful to chose between. 

To everyone who went to that, I would again like to thank you so much, You all are lovely people whom I adore. **smooches and all that other good stuff** You made it especiale fo' sho'. 


Sunday was beach day. My cousin was talking to my mom and thought I was waking up early to go. I had to chuckle. If it's not mandatory, I am not up "early" for anything. Ever. Pretty much. I headed out the door and went to Laguna since it's only 30 minutes from where my mom lives now. Such a beautiful day for the beach! But because it was so beautiful, it was also crowded. Lucky smart Nina over here however, managed to remember, and go with the flow, how to get to pieces of the beach that aren't as crowded as the main beach. Granted I could only stay an hour because of where I chose to park ($15-$20 for my maybe two hours before I got too tired and hot and left?! I think not.), but still so lovely.

Gor.Geous.

Beach babe status

Brooklyn represent lol

Then came family celebration dinner. This took place at some little Italian place I found on Yelp. Because Yelp can help you find literally anything and I love it to pieces. Dinner itself was tasty, conversation was entertaining as always, no complaints. After that, my mom, cousin and I meandered through Trader Joe's and bought so much stuff at Cost Plus World Market it almost wasn't even funny. The goods at that store just mesmerized us to no end. 


Moving right on along, Monday came. Even Mondays on vacation come with too much responsibility. Three back-to-back doctors appointments later, I hopped on over to C.A.R.E. to visit the little dear hearts of mine that are still employed there. It was so good to see them! It would have been nicer to see everyone but... well we won't go into that. Catching up with everyone and not having to adhere to a dress code was slightly liberating ha ha. After that, using the gift card Sofi so graciously gave, I made a run to Barnes and Noble were I bought the book I'm now committed to reading. It's The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and it's so massive I've taken to calling it a tome. Needless to say, all I want to do now is read. That book makes me antisocial for real. It was also incredily helpful on the plane considering the fact that I finished Fools by Joan Silber on the way there. I wasn't supposed to do that. But then since when do I ever follow the rules anyway? Even when they're my own oddly enough. 

New bae

Real life appropriateness

Then I went to drop off my cousin at the airport and ended up watching The Avengers and pigging out a bit on Ihop with my mom later that night. Firstly, The Avengers is still a great action film because who doesn't love Marvel?? Secondly, go get the Caramel Brioche French Toast at Ihop. Make it a combo for a dollar more if you feel so inclined. It will quench your hunger and make your heart and tummy happy. So delish.


Tuesday Tuesday. I knew Tuesday would be interesting since it was my last day as far as actually being able to see anyone was concerned. But first, I needed a run. I trekked from Rancho Santa Margarita all the way to Peters Canyon (in a car people), and thank goodness for the toll road! An hour and a half and 8 miles later, it was quite possibly one of the best runs of my entire life.

Inside Peters

BEAST. You mad. Get on my level. I'm done now...

After that, I swung by my dad's for a bit and said my adieus. Then it was home to tidy up and hang out, albeit awkward-ish at first, for a bit with Aaron who treated for lunch at True Food Kitchen. Definitely an interesting choice to say the least. The atmosphere was nice. Hanging out in general is always interesting. It's equally interesting how much attitudes can change after amounts of time and space have passed. Later we walked around Fashion Island, which included visiting Bridgy-poo at work (lol because I've never called her that in my life), and I was so proud of myself for not buying a single thing apart from a mocha. They have Le Pain Quotidien in California now and I was so happy to see something New York-familiar. You see, by this time I was missing New York something fierce and realized that 7 days in California is too long for me at this point. I was itching to get back so seeing this little French cafe on the other side of the country was lovely and boosted my mood. Also, my mom doesn't drink coffee and hence doesn't have a coffeemaker. I've stopped visiting Starbucks every day and wasn't about to start again just because Southern Orange County is lacking in decent, near by coffee shops. Or even Dunkin Donuts. You guys are really missing out in that respect. But anyway, I hadn't had coffee since the Thursday before and every day I was functional was just a miracle. I ordered a mocha and had the barista add both vanilla and hazelnut to it which he thought was interesting and different. I stood there thinking, I'M interesting and different, duh. ;) I'm only half kidding with that comment. But anyway, that coffee was one of the best things I'd had the entire trip. Bless Le Pain Quotidien.

A couple hours later, Alex, Bridgette and I got together for a last hurrah at Cold Stone and ended up people-watching because is there a better sport? I didn't think so. The ice cream was delish, the company was fabulous. A wonderful close to an alright vacation.

Another post was dedicated to my return travels because you know how detailed I get with planes and trains. But in closing, this trip taught me a lot. Mostly about myself, with bits here and there about other people. Who will show up and who won't. Who's in my life to stay and who may not be as permanent. It's all good in my neighborhood though. California, you're a cool state and all, but I'm most definitely not coming back that often and pretty much never moving back permanently. I did missing driving as much as I knew I would though and basically speed, literally, my way through the entire week. It's amazing I didn't end up with a ticket. Speed demon for life it looks like. But to California on the whole, it's been nice, catch ya never? I don't know.

Yes, I do. It won't be for a while. A long while. So if any of you interesting kiddies wants to see me, you'll need to buy a plane ticket to do it. Bon voyage!

Until next time lovelies,
xx

Comments

Popular Posts