The Jewish Museum and Free Stuff (Haha).

Hi kids!
**Note: there's a lot of PS's so read all the way to the bottom. Kthanxbye

This past week was quite eventful and event-filled. I kept putting off writing this but didn't want to put it off so long I started to forget things, so here I find myself. Well, let's jump right in.

Tuesday, I was excited. I wearing wearing new clothes, the weather was lovely and I was going on an adventure after work. Two actually. The first one was visiting a graphic design school for information session. The school's called Shillington in case you're interested in googling it. Though I've never really considered graphic design as a career for myself, it is something I'm giving some thought to. My current area of employment is not stimulating enough, creatively or culturally speaking, and I know my sanity will rear it's ugly head, as it's done a couple other times before, and cry out that I find new and better work. For now however, it's fine. Things are getting better, but also my annual review hasn't been returned to me yet so things will soon take a turn for the interesting. Stay tuned. Anyway, the session was good and very informational (pun intended) but in all seriousness I did learn a lot. They answered some questions I had and some I didn't know I had as well. It's something I'll definitely have to pray over and give some thought to.

After that, I headed over the Solar One for a free screening of Sixteen Candles courtesy of Loft (aka my new favorite store) and Rooftop Films, curated by the one and only Whitney Cummings. Needless to say, I was excited, this was my first official outdoor film of the summer, the one I volunteered for doesn't count. So after getting almost a little turned around, I found the place where the film was being screened. I'm still not sure exactly where Solar One itself is located.

Empire State building in the background there

"If you fall asleep, down by the waaaater, baby I'll carry you, all the way home"

Promo shenangians

Did I mention? Tuesday was the day I left my wallet at home. I felt so adrift. And I would have been so completely screwed if anything came up. And purely because of that missing wallet, of course something came up. I walk up to the screening location and lo and behold, on this warm, humid, late-spring day, what do I see but a VEGAN ICE CREAM TRUCK. Yes. It was vegan, it had ice cream, it was a truck, I was so sad. So unfortunately I did not get to partake of the sweet, cold goodness that day. However, I'm attending two more films put on by the same collaboration of people, in the same location, one this week and one next week so they had better bring the ice cream truck back (please).

Screen-spliced sunset

One of the best lines of this film

Before the film, as per Rooftop Film ritual, a band played. The band is called Wilsen, and they're actually quite good. The lead does this whistle that I think might (if it isn't already then it totally should) be her signature for their songs that I just loved. Click the link above, choose their Magnolia EP, listen to "Go Try", it's good for when you're feeling mellow.

Wilsen
I would also like to note that for one song the guy on guitar to the far left played said guitar with a violin bow. First time I've ever seen someone do that before.

And then Whitney Cummings came out. Yeah, I wasn't expecting that either. She did a couple minutes of stand-up for us, including questioning a couple on their second date and getting opinions/sharing experiences concerning Tinder. Good gracious apparently literally every single person ever is on that site now. But more power to her, she was great.

Also her jumpsuit, probably from Loft, was so cute.

The movie ended at 11:30 which I wasn't expecting so I didn't even get home until 12:30. What a way to spend a Tuesday. I can't wait to do it again this Thursday.

Speaking of Thursdays, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Just a quick blurb about Wednesday. I had a continuing shoe malfunction that reached it's peak one block away from the train Wednesday that consequently made me have to turn around and go all the way back home just to change those suckers. I was not pleased. It turned out I was only 10 minutes late for work though so it wasn't the worst thing ever. After work, I went to pick up an order I'd placed with Zara and ended up also going on an impromptu shopping trip. Good from & Other Stories, Crate and Barrel and, would you believe it, the cutest patent black flats from Forever 21 were the spoils of the day.

Now we can move on to Thursday. I wasn't sure how much of a day I was going to have because I had maybe yes/maybe no plans with a friend from California who moved out here a while ago but also a while after I did. She's an acquaintance/friend, considering the fact that I only ever met her once, two weeks before I left the West Coast. Anyway, we did end up hanging out and it was really fun. We visited the Jewish Museum because I knew of an exhibit going on there and we ended up just walking through the whole thing. The exhibit I came for was How We See by Laurie Simmons but the one that ended up catching my attention the most was actually Revolution of the EyeIt was quite stunning and, interestingly enough, made me think a lot about graphic design. Go figure. After that, we just walked around the rest of the museum. Everything in that place is actually really interesting.

Walking there.

I am the biggest sucker for a red door. So chic

Andy Warhol <3

Edie on film

My new favorite by Roy Lichtenstein

What I officially had come to see

Basquiat-esque vibes but it's not (I don't think)

Dinner portions and their possible contents

SO much yes

Menorah hallway

Gift card I almost bought just for the sake of having

Same thing goes for this tote bag
And that postcard in the bottom left hand corner

After all the cultural-ness and viewing of things, we chatted lively while walking back to Lexington in search of food. We walked and walked and then had to walk some more because two 20-something girls are not always inclined to spend Upper East Side prices on some food we probably could have made ourselves. Plus, we both didn't mind walking which is yet one more thing we both love about living in New York. It was nice to have someone to talk about the difference between living in New York and California with without said person being annoying. We ended up at a Hot and Crust, the name choice of which I personally find quite questionable. Inside however, delectables abounded and you completely forgot about the horrible/weird name.

THE SWEETS COUNTER
I seriously want to go back and buy a cheesecake, or red velvet cake, or a slice of cheesecake and a red velvet cupcake and one of those apple tarts from them. They all looked so yum

Veggie burger heaven

All in all, I'm thankful and happy our possible-shaky plans turned out to be solid and we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We're supposed to hang out again this Thursday so I 'll have fun things to tell you that as well.

Today, I went to Trader Joe's and didn't come home broke. That in and of itself is an accomplishment worthy of an award. I won't give away any huge clues, apart from the one I just prefaced this sentence with, but savor the below photo folks,  because as Bob Dylan so wisely crooned at us, "times they are a' changin'"... *insert wink face here*



Side note: For those of you who have been reading about my exploits since the beginning, you may remember a certain gentleman I went on a date with early last year. I've linked in the post here (under the bullet point entitled Sunday night) if it's really that serious for you but otherwise, he was the short one who tried to tell me I'm young and need to live my life and be serious later and go out all the time now etc. etc. Yeah, guess who reached out again... Guess who wants to go out again... Guess who hasn't decided how to respond to that yet... (I'm a sucker for intense situations and love to see reactions based on my actions, I can't help it and I've been so good for so long now)
Oy vey indeed.

Until next time lovelies (aka next weekend most likely),
xx

PS. My best friend has been missing for a week now. If any of you see him, tell him I'm angry and he's a punk.

PPS. I didn't mention Father's Day because I haven't spoken to my father yet. I bought him a wallet from Fossil though so I imagine he'll like it a lot. I have to make sure he actually got it, and the card too. That wallet debacle, or lack thereof, on Tuesday made me send out a card to California from New York on Wednesday. That's generally not enough time to get from one side of the country to the other but I've heard of it happening before.

PPPS. Here is an awesome photo I saw of some graffiti while on my way to the gym from Home Depot on Monday evening followed by a photo my recently married coworker sent me from the professional photographers batch of photos. He's still sorting though those babies but apparently they're going to be featured in a bridal magazine which is absolutely awesome. Enjoy.

Brooklyn graffiti is the bees knees

L and I looking, as Krista more or less stated, as chic as can be

PPPPS. Tune in to my snapchat for all the in-the-moment moments: @ninawillz

PPPPPS. I watched The Guest last night and while the film itself may not be utter genius, Dan Stevens with an American accent is just so strange to me, the music and soundtrack were spot on. Spotify that joint and watch the film movie.

Comments

Popular Posts