I Like It Like This

Isn't that such a great title? And so versatile. I mean literally, for anything.

Anyway, hi kids!
I'm going to give you a brief overview of the past couple days interspersed with the requisite photos.

Thursday, I was tired. If I'm being honest, when am I not tired? But Thursday I was exceptionally tired. I also realized I was slated to volunteer to help do setup and take down for an outdoor film courtesy of Rooftop Films. If I hadn't already said I'd be there and I wasn't such a honest person, I would not have shown up. In the end however, I'm glad I did. I was there from 6pm until 11:30pm. Setup was easy this time, just setting up 400+ folding chairs and telling people they're not allowed to sit in the aisles. I got to watch some shorts from this year's Sundance Film Festival (yes that one) for free AND I got free pizza. Who doesn't love free short films and free pizza?? And getting to meet some cool people too? In case you can't tell, I enjoyed myself despite my being so tired. I got to bed at 12:30 and Friday morning I looked quite rough. I didn't mind though because I was so tired Friday nothing my manager could do or say to me could really stress me out or agitate me too much. I was simply too tired. I should go to work that exhausted more often.

Summer outdoor films >

Saturday, I was only more tired because I stayed up ridiculously late on Friday night talking on the phone with my mom. I had to go to the post office to pick up the Barnes and Noble package my dad sent because for some strange reason they didn't just leave it in my building's foyer. All the same, it was a nice morning and I didn't mind the walk. Also, now I have enough books that I want to be anti-social and stay home until I finish all of them. They are as follows, in case you were wondering:
1. The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall
2. the Grace Coddington autobiography
3. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kahling
4. Happy are the Happy by Yasmina Reza
5. Lovers at the Chameleon Club by Francine Prose

I am currently 210 pages through The Well and will probably (hopefully) finish this week. So far it's quite good and though it's taken me forever to finish it (I started it, put it down and read four other books, then picked it back up), I like it a lot. Google those if the titles sound interesting. I am absolutely elated about the last two. So excited. All of them really, I just can't wait to read.

Anyway so I stayed home from church but that night attended a Single's Ministry event at my church. It was good all in all. The subject matter was very diverting and half the time I couldn't tell if the discussion leader/moderator was looking directly at me or just in my general area. I also bought deli flowers, poms, and that made me exceedingly happy.

Saw this while walking to the post office and loved it

Late night selfie take 10 of 1 million

Sunday I had plans. I went to the grocery store and didn't spend $50. This is a laudable accomplishment. After that, I went up to Sotheby's to finally see I Like It Like This, the exhibition put on in collaboration with my main bae Drake who curated music to go with 3/4 of the art on display. The art itself is telling of the overlap of the arts in general, how music influences art influences poetry influences dance, etc. Click the link above if you want even more of an in-depth scoop. In short, I absolutely loved this.

Bathroom selfie, couldn't resist that mirror

Ayyyy

So official

Pieces

A favorite of mine
Untitled (I Remember the Very Day) by Glenn Ligon

More pieces

Harvest: 3,000 Years #2 by Adam Pendleton
My absolute favorite

"You're giving me such sweet nothin's..."

Another Adam Pendleton, Concrete the Smell of Your Neck
I'm aware you can't read this but I wish you could because it's great

Amazing-ness 
Brutality by Samuel Levi Jones
Looks like a print, except it's not

Lol sort of
Lolo by Tony Lewis

I usually can get through an exhibit or art gallery fairly quickly, while still taking in the gravitas of whatever it is I'm looking at. With this, I stayed for an hour. The music, the art, the atmosphere, being at Sotheby's. All of it was great. Also knowing that Drake had been in that room earlier was pretty stellar. I was supposed to visit another exhibition after that but was so hungry I decided to leave that one for another Sunday adventure. Sotheby's was a little more pressing since it ends June 12 and closes every day of the week at 5pm. Bless the weekends indeed. I headed home, caught up with a friend on the phone for a while, then cooked. Now I'm sitting here, typing this little note out to you all before GoT and Penny Dreadful engulf what's left of my Sunday. All in all, I had a delightful weekend.

This coming week I'm getting around just a bit so of course you'll hear all about it. Tuesday I'm going to the Museum Mile Festival AND a free outdoor film after work. It's a lot, possibly too much, I'll need lots of coffee. I need coffee right now. Kbye.

Until next time lovelies,
xx

Comments

Popular Posts