Going Out and Going Out and Going Out.

Well hi there,

So it's finally May, the weather's finally nice, everything is going swell. This weekend quite a bit happened. Let me regale you.


Let me just start by saying, this is what I look like now. If you haven't been on social media lately, for whatever reason, I got braided up last Wednesday. The reasons for this decision were that my hair grows best and fastest when in braids and also, more importantly, humidity is literally the worst. My co-workers all went crazy when they first saw it, saying "it's a totally different look" and "you look like a different person!" etc. All in all, the general consensus is everyone loves it which makes me happy because I love it too. So that's that.

Church was cool. It looked like it might possibly rain the entire day almost but it didn't until later so I didn't mind. I dressed like a Poetic Justice/Cosby Show mash-up and I loved it. Sorry I don't have a full photo from head-to-toe for you here. Maybe next time. 

Brooklyn Brownstones

About a week or two ago, I had contacted a couple people on Craigslist about getting tickets to a concert happening this past Saturday night. One person was selling a ticket for $10 and I thought, 'Oh that's fine.' I waited a weekend to see if any other friends I knew of were interested in going, then contacted said Craigslister Monday. I was duly informed that the price was $20. Did I mention, these tickets were originally supposed to be free with RSVP but I missed the RSVP date, etc. and found myself scrambling. $10 I could deal with, $20 you've got me twisted. The second person I emailed then subsequently forget all about, emailed me back asking if I was still interested and long story short, I got a ticket for $5. Amen for Craigslist. 

Said ticket

What's most ironic is the fact that the name on the ticket is different from my name (obviously) and different from the guy who sold it to me. But I did not ask questions as to how the ticket came into his possession, I just gave him $5 and said thank you. 

So I got to the doors at the Music Hall of Williamsburg, where the concert was taking place, and the door guy goes, "ID please." I almost had a heart attack. Of all the times I've prided myself on being the girl who never leaves her ID at home, I had for once, let my ID at home. The show was all ages and because I wasn't bringing my day-to-day bag, I didn't think I'd need it. The guy ended up letting me show him my credit card however and just told me I couldn't drink. Well lucky for me, I don't drink anyway. Doors for the show were at 8, everything was supposed to get started at 9 and that's basically what happened. I got there at about 8:15 and ended up securing a spot right up against the stage in the front, on the right hand side (if you're facing the stage). It was chill. That's why all my photos are angled, in case you were wondering. Being that this was an all ages show, I got a refresher in the energy that emanates from teenagers. Mercy. They talk about some weird stuff. But I can't really judge because 5 fives ago that was me. Awkward.

Pre-show

A couple minutes after 9pm, the opening band came on and wow-ed us. They were actually very good and I'm looking forward to their upcoming EP. The concert I was at was for Converse Rubber Tracks Live. The headliners for said concert were Wild Nothing. The band that opened for them was called Journalism.

Journalism in action

Now let me tell you something about Journalism, specifically the drummer. Apparently his name is Brendan. He's really hot. I don't mean kind of hot. I mean the entire time I was standing there, I was thinking, 'Dang honey, you could get it;)'... more or less. For the first 10 minutes of their set, I really couldn't tell if he was staring straight at me or just at someone directly behind me or what the situation was. Yes, I stared back and smiled, etc. but that much direct eye-contact makes me a little nervous I've noticed. Unfortunately, I didn't see him anymore after that so I guess we'll never know what that was about. Haha, you guys think I should make a post on Missed Connections via Craigslist? "Love and Eye Contact at a Concert in Brooklyn" I'll call it. In all seriousness though, they were very good. I liked them a lot. Look them up on Twitter and Bandcamp if you're so inclined. I'd link them but that would take some doing I'm not inclined to do at the moment. 

I just read over that last sentence and it makes me sound incredibly lazy so I'm just going to do it really quick. Here's their Twitter and here's their Bandcamp. Go wile out. 

Blurry photo of said hot drummer

And then came Wild Nothing. They were magnificent. They haven't played shows in a couple years apparently, probably because they haven't come out with any new stuff which isn't a problem either in my book. They still an absolutely fantabulous job though. I have a new favorite song by them, it's called "Only Heather". Digitally it's pretty good but if you ever happen to hear it live, you'll love it as much as I do. 

Wiiiiiiiiild Nothing

So it was drizzling/raining when I left home, when I arrived at the Music Hall of Williamsburg, when I left the Music Hall of Williamsburg, and when I got back home. This was before 12 actually, which was nice. 

Lol I wasn't alone on the train when I took this shot but I didn't really care. 
I was feeling myself and that lip color was fire.

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon. I had been looking forward to this for quite some time. I was going to the theater! You all know how much I love theater, cultured little nut that I am. So on my way there, since the theater was located on 45th Street, I have to pass through the Theater District aka Times Square aka the place New Yorkers go for death by trampling of tourists and people hawking crap you didn't want in the first place. It was just as bad as I've made it sound.

A random street fair I stumbled across

 I was headed to the theater to see "Skylight" a play by David Hare, featuring Carey Mulligan (the darling of my life as it were) and Bill Nighy (just let that sink in for a moment). If you don't know who one or either of them are, you should be ashamed of yourself. Take a moment, open a new window and Google them. Now. I'll give you a few moments.

See? They are both ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and on-stage, that was only magnified. The play itself is very good. I read it in prep for the performance, back when I first bought  the tickets, just so I would walk in being informed of what I was looking at, not just because of the names you know. It was sooooo worth it. Side note of interest: the polka dot jumpsuit I wore (and am still currently wearing actually) is the same one I wore to my graduation last year which was also right around this time. Maybe it'll be my annual May jumpsuit. And yes, I have worn it since then, thank you very much. This is one of those pieces you love but don't want to wear too often so people don't start to recognize it on you all the time. You've got to think about these things people.

Will-call ticket. That line to get in was insanity

First time at this theater (I think?)

Da view of da stage

Yours truly

After having my mind blown by seeing such great work, and one of my favorite actress', live on stage, I ran by Jamba Juice because I've had a gift card from there in my possession for far too long and got myself a Pina Colada refresher. It was only okay. Too liquidy, it could have used some more ice but who am I to judge. A barrage of street people kept trying to sell me their little rap mixtapes and it was humid and I couldn't find Jamba and I was just really not having it. This one guy actually tried to stop me in my tracks. You can imagine how that went.

All in all, a very good weekend. I made it home, cooked some food, didn't have enough time to go to the gym so I'm going tomorrow after work instead. Don't ask me what I'm going to do with this all this hair, I haven't the faintest idea. I'd love to make tea right now in prep for watching the Sunday night line-up, which consists of Game of Thrones and Penny Dreadful, but I'm still too warm for all that. The next big purchase I have to make is going to have to be an air conditioner. Someone spot me $400.

Until next time lovelies,
xx

**SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION SECTION**

PS. If you don't already, you really should follow my snapchat. Apparently I'm cute on there;) @ninawillz

PPS. I got a Pintrest. I'm on it way too much. See it here.

Comments

Popular Posts