An Ode Of Sorts.

Hey hey.
*Spoiler: I don't know how, but this thing is really long. Like long long. You've been warned*

So I was sitting in my chair, calmly minding my own business, reading my current book on my Nook (which, can I just tell you, only makes me swear my love and devotion to physical books even more). The book I'm reading is talking about the main character's troubles as a burgeoning author, one fine work under her wing and her attempts to be more than a "one-book-author" when something told me "You should practice writing or at least make a blog post about this past weekend Nina because why not. You like writing. Remember?" ...So here I am.

Last weekend. We'll start from Friday.
Friday I had a half day at work and it was marvelous. I was busy the first hour, checking things off my personal to-do the second, and the third I just read and drew out my plan of attack for shopping Monday. Then all of a sudden it was 12pm and I was out of there.

I originally had plans to be in Jersey the whole weekend but those fell through and I planned to make the most of it. As such, I went art gallery hopping because when else am I going to have time to visit multiple galleries before closing at 6pm on a weekday? And oh what a joy it was.

Ceiling of a gazebo and skylight of one show

Yayoi Kusami for you

Another Yayoi

This was just in the window of a closed gallery but I liked it a lot

Chelsea is a beautiful neighborhood.

All in all I believe I visited 8 galleries total. I lost track somewhere in there. Three of those eight I had planned on, the rest just so happened to be next door or down the block or across the street and I mean how could I resist? The weather was so fine, the art so conceptual and diverting, the holiday so close at hand.

Blurry and winking but I love this photo so much

Upon finishing my gallery hop, I decided, since I was already nearby, to walk down lower 5th Ave and see if I could scope out any stores worth my while for the weekend. I picked up some lovely white Dahlias. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure if they're Dahlias but either way they're gorgeous.

Then suddenly, I was shopping for that moment, not for Monday. Monday, in case you haven't noticed, is when my plan of attack would be carried out and I planned to reap the glory of Memorial Day sales at at least three different places. Everywhere else I happened to run into was just happy coincidence. Fifth was great and all but I only found something at Express of all places and even then, it was an essential I probably could have found anywhere but I wanted one that was quality. There's nothing like quality essentials, I'm teaching myself this. And anyway, a sale's a sale, no matter who's holding it.

Mandatory dressing room selfie
I wear dark colors more than light these days. Hm.

Pizza closed out the evening and man, when you haven't eaten in almost 7 hours, vegetable pizza and fries are liable to make your heart sing. Just an FYI in case you were wondering.

Fast forward to Saturday night, Friday night and Sabbath during the day being fairly uneventful. Who am I kidding? Saturday night wasn't eventful either. I can't even remember what I did. I think I just watched something random? I couldn't find anything to do and finally visiting the Brooklyn Night Bazaar, which has been on my list for over a year mind you, completely slipped my mind. How awful. Oh well.

So Sunday. The morning was spent going to the grocery store and spending way more at a neighborhood market than I ever intended or intend on spending again. That is definitely not happening twice. I walked out in sheer astonishment. But all the same, a girl's got to eat. I ran home thinking I needed to only to find out that I'd made my grocery run within 45 minutes and still had an hour and a half before my next event. I cleaned. A lot. It was good and now my floors are gleaming which is always nice. I don't want to wear shoes in the house at all now. That's how clean the floors are. Then 12:30 hit and it was time to aller (go, in French). So I got on the train and let me tell you, being in Williamsburg at night vs being in Williamsburg during the day can make all the difference in the world. It's odd that I know my way around better at night but that's probably because I'm usually there at night. I think last Sunday was my first time before there before 8pm. Like ever. Anywhoodles, I was going to the movies and boy was I excited. Why you might ask? Because I was finally seeing "Mad Max: Fury Road" and the elation was all over my face, like a 5-year old who's about to be given ice cream. 

Meeeeeeow

Yeah, I was that excited. I've been waiting for this film for ages it seems. I got there ridiculously early but of course it was worth it because my seat was prime. However, everyone felt gipped when the actual movie went black but the sound kept playing. At first, no one knew if that was actually the film or if something had happened to make the projector stop. When nothing was getting better after a couple minutes and someone in the movie started screaming about someone being dead, that's when people in the theater started screaming "what the heck" and so on. Then the sound cut and we had nothing. Luckily, everything came back on and their rewound the film for us a bit so we'd know we hadn't missed anything. As for the film itself, it was glorious and I think everyone should see it. Tom Hardy is a mute beaute and Charlize Theron can kill even if she is one-handed. It's lucky I don't drive out here or I would have had a hard time driving home safely after watching that. It's like the feeling you get after watching "Drive" or any of the Fast and Furious movies. You want to speed and tear things up and be a beast about it. Yeah buddy.

Monday was eventful in how much money I spent. It was a lot. See below for an itemized list:
  • a humidifying air conditioner (my first real appliance purchase as an adult. Because microwaves don't count)
  • & Other Stories flats
  • & Other Stories candle
  • & Other Stories nail polish
  • canisters from Crate and Barrel (3 to be exact)
  • a dish towel (it's vintage-looking and adorable and cost $4)
  • a peeler (because I realized earlier last week I didn't have one and it just seemed odd)
Yes, yes, I'm aware the list isn't long. But then I didn't say it would be, did I? No. I said I spent a lot. Difference. 

Nail polish decisions. See a nude/neutral/subdued polish streak forming or is that just me?

After walking around for the first couple hours with no luck, I stumbled across & Other Stories and it was there that I found paradise. And really adorable, chic black pointed toe d'orsay flats.

These things are fierce and comfy and I love them to pieces ugh

I had a very specific list of things to purchase yesterday. Unfortunately, it seems that your girl will never get her hands on a black hooded parka if her life depended on it. Which sucks because I really, really want one. Oh well. I have stumbled upon the jewel that is & Other Stories and there's no looking back now.

Top knot nation 

After an MTA debacle that ended in my taking over an hour and a half to get home, a distance that should only have taken 40 minutes, at the very most, I decided proper food was in order. Where oh where would I be without Seamless? Starved I tell you, absolutely starved.

Vegan Chinese food

That order, which arrived to my home only 5 minutes after I walked in the door, the gym and washing these braids of mine consisted of my Monday evening. It felt like Sunday had happened twice and I fully support that being our new workweek if ever that proposition is put to a vote. 3-day weekends should become the norm.

Well, that was my Memorial Day weekend, all nice and drawn out for you. There aren't as many photos because honestly I hadn't really planned on blogging about all this but, well you guys have imaginations, use them.

Favorite photo of the entire day hands-down

Next weekend I'm going to my co-workers wedding Saturday, followed by a little gallery-hop on the Upper West Side (I think). Because Drake is accompanying art in an exhibit at Sotheby's and on no uncertain terms am I allowed to miss it. And yes, I'll take oodles of photos the entire weekend just for you. It'll be a gas, I'm sure.

Until next time lovelies,
xx

PS. I don't know why I titled this "An Ode of Sorts." It's not really an ode to anything in particular. Oh well.

PPS. I feel more natural with my hair in braids than I do with my natural hair out and about. Isn't that grand? #EmbracingCulture

Comments

Popular Posts