Momma Mia.

Hello one and all,

As I'm sure most of you know by now, if you don't know, now you know... ;) my mom came out to visit for Thanksgiving. In a word, it was absolutely marvelous. So how we're going to do this is I will list everything according to day of the week it happened.


WEEKEND

Spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before she arrived, in prep. Cleaning my apartment, buying some food, cleaning more. Good gracious. But doing it while The Hunger Games is on isn't too bad... until you start watching the movie more than cleaning like you're supposed to.


MONDAY

Work. Blah blah boring stressful blah. I went to the gym because I KNEW the food within the next week would be ridiculous. Oh was I in for it...



Tree I decorated for/at work

TUESDAY
Mom finally came in Tuesday night after an apparently horrific taxi ride. Apparently she almost threw up. Not to mention the taxi driver had no idea where my place was. He was asking strangers on the street for directions on how to get to my house. I'm like, sir, is it really that bad?? Lol but seriously. 



She's who I get it from <3

WEDNESDAY
When I left work Wednesday at 12, I promised myself to think about it and the things to be done that I wouldn't be doing as little as possible because man oh man did I need a break. Stressing me out MUCH too much over there. Then Olvert Something Jr., one of the million maintenance guys here, came by to look at my radiator because this was the first day in forever someone would actually be home between the hours of 9 and 5 for once. I still think this is the most ridiculous rule. How do you think I pay for this apartment? With charity?? What about a kickstarter? Because obviously a job never occurred to you. Can I also just say... What kind of name exactly is Olvert? And why would you make more than one person have it? Oh and did I mention, he ended up chatting up north my mother and myself, in front of my mother. He then proceeded to tell us he liked us, and we're interesting, then more or less invited himself over for lunch on some future date?? I was like, whoa buddy, whoa. Lol we don't eat lunch here. 

Moving on. We wanted to escape the debacle of lateness bound to take place if a certain cousin of mine picked us up (it's in his blood). This lead us to taking three different trains. From my house to Penn Station, then hopped on some middle train, I have no idea what, then finally on to NJ Transit. 



What even NJ what

From there it wasn't far to our destination. And then we walked a mile in the snow carrying a cheesecake I had bought earlier.This whole process, not including the buying of cheesecake, took about two and a half hours. All for the sake of family. I tell ya'. 

Also, taking selfies on New Jersey transit while it's semi-empty is fun. 



Beanies make me feel cool

This little kid came from out of nowhere and peeped over my mom's shoulder while she was eating fries. Later, when he was staring at her from his seat, she turned, looked up at him, and gesturing to her fries said, "You want some?" I regret to inform you that I did not see the reaction look on that child's face as he was directly behind me when this occurred. I can however tell you about my reaction. I was like, "Mom. For real??!?" When I suggested he wanted some of her fries being the reason for his staring, and because of this she should offer him some, I didn't think she would actually do it. That was not a serious request. 

Also, did I mention a ticket for that thing costs $10? EACH WAY??!? No no, Nina was not happy about that. 

Well we finally arrived at around 6:30 and from then on it was chats with each other and my aunt when she wasn't too focused on cooking. 

Later, I had a midnight chat with one of my cousins, the not-forever late one, while he baked cakes. It was cool, but it was also 1:30am and I was exhausted. Apparently he wanted me to be taste-tester a little later in the normal-hours-morning but wasn't sure if I was awake. What a shame. Because I was. I just hadn't physically gotten up yet. When I woke up for a second at 6am, homeboy was still at it. Bless him. 


THURSDAY
Thanksgiving was pretty sweet. Literally. 



Wave Nina

Belly laughs and lots of story-telling and the seeing of yet another cousin I've haven't seen in like a decade. My aunt tried to give a little mini speech before we ate, discussing living life and destiny, etc. It was a little morbid to be honest. The my cousin crushed the moment. It was probably as a result of the morbidity. We all chuckled and I don't blame him but I do see where she was coming from and why what she read touched her. 

Well here was what I had:



Obligatory food shot

Now, because I know you all are SO interested, I'll tell you all about the food and my thoughts on it, going in a clockwise direction from the top:


  • I ought to know by now that I don't like green bean casserole. Maybe that's why my portion's so small. 
  • Mac n'cheese was lacking in cheesiness. You have no idea how disappointed I was. 
  • Veggie teriyaki was delish and I don't care what anyone says. 
  • Dressing was salty and that made me sad. 
  • Cranberry sauce will be cranberry sauce. Does anyone know why we call it sauce when it's fairly obviously not? I should ask Alton Brown. He would know. 
  • Rice and beans were actually delicious which was a little surprising because I'm not even sure why I got them, besides to be polite, in the first place. The greens!! Man oh man those babies were delectable. Usually they're a little drab but not this year. This year they had pizazz. 
  • Yams yams yams. I think my cousin, yes a different one, made them. And whatever she did, bless her soul. Jose things were sooo amazing. Candied pecans on top and everything. 
  • And WHO has salad on Thanksgiving!?!?!? My family apparently. That's who. Pea and other stuff salad which was about as good as it sounds, aka not good. 
  • And finally, the cornbread. If only I could live off cornbread that good alone, my life just might be complete. 

Then, an hour and something minutes later, sweets time arrived!




The dessert spread, from the back, included four kinds of cake, two pies and egg nog flavored gelato. Cakes and pies are as follows: 


  • German chocolate
  • Oreo 
  • Pecan pie
  • Sweet potato pie
  • Vanilla cake
  • Carrot cake cheesecake (our contribution)

I had two of the four and of course gelato because I couldn't decide between Oreos and cheesecake and decided I didn't have to. Decide I mean. So I had both. 


This cheesecake from Juniors was amazing and amazingly rich but so amazingly good. You did not dare eat more than one piece at a time though. 

This was my cousin by about 10pm. 

Poor bae

Although granted, he pulled an allnighter just so our dessert spread would be a spread instead of two small pies and our cheesecake. 


FRIDAY
We decided last minute to sleep vs getting out there and fighting off the mobs in Soho, which would require leaving Jersey much earlier than I would prefer, to shop. So we slept a lil more and planned to shop Monday instead. 
A little after mid-morning, we hopped back onto NJ transit and began the trek back to civilization. 

Jersey with snow and train tracks and stuff

There was a guy who was getting onto the train for Penn Station in Jersey with us and he had on Comme des Garçon hi tops. It was love at first sight. Then there was the older woman looking for the Brooklyn Museum stop and, while she was leaning past me to look at the subway map, I saw she had on a pin with the cover of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" on it. Precious moments indeed. I liked her all the more for it. 

Once we made it back to my place, we dropped our bags then went right back out to Target because some serious snack food was needed. We had a movie night coming and you don't take those things lightly. 

We also ended up buying pizza for dinner because without Thanksgiving leftovers (there's rules about taking things home), there was not a soul in my apartment (of the two of them) willing to cook a thing. And plus. My mom needed to experience New York pizza again begrore she left. So pizza it was. 

Drool quality


SABBATH/SATURDAY NIGHT
Church with mom was definitely an interesting experience. We were our sarcastic selves. The service itself got better at the end but by the end was grrreat. 

Awkward enough for you bae

Ps. I am totally loving my stockings with sandal heels look and will most likely keep doing it for the rest of the winter. Or just for forever. Either one. 

I ended up having to restore my phone because it kept saying I didn't have a SIM card in which I totally did... 3 hours later... All better. But by then, neither of us felt like trekking to the Brooklyn Night Bazaar like we'd originally planned. I found out it's nowhere near as close as I thought it was and that was a big deterrent. So a movie night with sorbet and sappy films was what our Saturday night turned into. We watched a couple of my absolute favorites though and they were fabulous so I wasn't mad at it. 

SUNDAY
Slept in. I had taped the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade because that's a tradition of ours to watch but apparently it didn't actually tape. So RUDE.
So we moved on ahead with our plans and saw The Imitation Game at a movie theater in lower Manhattan I hadn't been to previously.

This was one of the concession stands

Movie ticket price realness

I nearly cried. Mom loved it. There's a first time for everything. 

Took her to S'Mac next. She LOVED it. Apparently figs in your Mac n'cheese is her style. Note to self. 

Cheese on cheese on cheese on ughhhh

I got one with fennel, and other scrumptious cheeses and never looked back. I've been there three times and no regrets. This one might be my favorite though. The cheesy deliciousness makes me/you forget about the calories you're consuming. 

Then we walked around LES a bit while also heading back to the train. I got some cool things and made notes about the places we visited or I wanted to visit but couldn't because my mother decided to wed shoes she couldn't really walk in. We ended up visiting a favorite vintage record store and also a vintage thrift store I never walked past before. 



This chair was awesome

Hi

Only one came out a winner. But it was okay with me. 
I'll give you a hint, the winning location sent me home with new glass coasters.

Then, after all that, I finally, finally took her to Bklyn Larder. She had been asking about it since Friday like she was 5 and I told her we were going to Disneyland. By the time we got home, we had extra sweets, Apple cider flavored sorbet to (it's to die for), breakfast for the next two days for her and my favorite brand of yogurt. Oh, and chocolate milk. Because duh. 

Once we got home, we had some of earlier mentioned sweets, watched 'Her', and loved every minute of it. I then gave her a lesson about using her phone because she always gets confused. Aw. 

MONDAY
On to Soho and the spending of money we (read: I) don't have, we go. 
We stopped in a lot of stores and somehow I ended up with more stuff than she did. We went to Zara and I didn't get anything. That was hard. Then we went to H&M and I bought too much. That wasn't hard at all. 
All in all, I racked up, a new wide-brimmed fedora, some pullover sweaters and gold necklaces (because all gold everything always), and a new pashmina. Waddup. Hopefully I didn't break the bank. But just in case, I actively decided not to check. 
Then came he food section. We looked up and realized it was 2 something and we hadn't eaten. We went into LadurĂ©e, which is like French food heaven on earth and I picked up some macarons. 

The French do it best

Because how can you not? I was put on self-induced shopping restriction after that. With he allowable exception of Topshop. 

Then, for actual lunch, we visited Dean & Deluca which I've never been to. So much good stuff all over!! 

Coconut creme donut

It's like a wondrous Whole Foods except better in there. Also got a couple Pressed Juices. Anytime I'm shopping and hungry in Soho, it's Dean & Deluca from now on. Unless I'm getting street food. 

Before we left though, mom happily ended up finding one of the two items she was so desperately searching for so that was a nice end to the expensive day.

After that, it was back home and another movie night once more but for the last time. We had a Batman-marathon and watched The Dark Knight as well as half of The Dark Knight Rises before I realized I should go to bed so as to be semi-awake for work Tuesday. Ew. Work. I'd been dreading Tuesday since last Wednesday. Who ever wants to go back to work?? No no no. 

TUESDAY
Woke up at an unholy hour because back to the grind I was going. I shuttled her off, with the greatly appreciated help of Uber, to La Guardia, and that, ladies and gents as they say, was that. 
She's been on planes and in airports all day and technically still hasn't made it home yet. I went to work and thankfully wasn't stressed out of my mind the whole time for a nice change. 

All in all, it was absolutely lovely to have her out but I am so glad to have my apartment back to myself. There's just something about living alone. Once you start, I can see how some people might find it hard to stop. 
Still, I will miss her terribly, as always. Though the lack of questions about every single thing to do with trains will also not be missed. I mean she's just very inquisitive about hints in general I could have no way of knowing unless I built the thing. Nonetheless though, it was fabulous having her around, even if only for a little while. 

This weekend some exciting things are supposed to be happening so you may or may not get a post. I feel bad when I tell you guys this and then nothing happens because teen I have nothing to write about but I've already gotten you all excited. So take it his way, my life may or may not be extra exciting this coming weekend. If it is, I'll write and tell you about it. If not, then mum's the word. 

Until next time lovelies,
xx

Ps. Mom brought me ginger tea she bought but doesn't personally care for. These are he reasons I love her. 

Pps. It's winter. I've got to start wearing hats more often.

Ppps. Frank Ocean released a new song if you haven't heard and if you haven't heard it, it is 2 minutes of heaven.

Comments

Popular Posts