Because Feminism.

Hello hello,
And welcome back to the Nina show. I'm your host. Sup.

So this week was literally a blast. I had so much fun and it's not even over yet.

Monday after work, I hoofed it to the Asian-American Writers Workshop on the west side. 


I am aware that, though I am an aspiring writer (journalist to be exact), I am not Asian. Now that the obvious is out of the way. I had registered to see one fabulously talented and accomplished author, Roxane Gay, talk about her most recent work "Bad Feminist" and feminism in general, moderated by Alexander Chee. Needless to say, it was amazing. 


She was hilarious and definite in her opinions and answers and candid which is always so refreshing. Her audible love for Scandal and strong dislike for Tyler Perry, both of which I fully appreciate and agree with, only made me love her more. The standout moment of the night however, was probably when she, along with the entire audience, ended up singing "Baby Got Back". Because there is no discrimination when it comes to getting sprung off big butts. She opened by reading one of her essays, unfortunately not my favorite one but a good one all the same, then her talk, followed by a question and answer period. I should have asked her to elaborate on Tyler Perry for those who haven't read the book because oh my goodnes how he infuriates and agitates me. But that's a rant for another time. After this, she opened her book-signing and I actually met her. Up close, in person, got my book signed and everything. And actually chatted a bit with her about writing instead of just the usual, "My name's Nina, sign my book, kbye." It was, in a word, magical. I was shaking afterward as I posted a photo on Instagram.



What I also found to be incredibly interesting, albeit slightly agitating simultaneously, was the amount of men (five) that catcalled at me within as many (again, five) hours. 

Hair a little cray but whatevs

Granted I was wearing a new jacket I am now SO glad I bought and a dress. Sure, I was wearing neon orange embroidered loafers. Okay I had on lightly purple tinted balm on my lips. But none of these makes it okay for that many men to want to say more than hello. Especially out on the street. Especially the ones who did it at night. I would appreciate if you would refrain. I'm sure pretty much every woman I've ever met would appreciate if you would refrain. Instead, tell me something like, "You look incredibly intelligent" or "That's that confidence right there" or better yet just don't speak. Do us all a favor and shut up. And this happening before and after I go hear a woman I admire speak on feminism. The sheer irony of my entire life is not lost upon me. I just have to smile and nod sometimes is all.

Tuesday I went to the gym and it was great. Moving on.

Wednesday oh Wednesday. Honestly my Wednesdays are turning out to be more and more fun lately. This one included an outfit I would like to have changed at the last minute but didn't and ended up being slightly sour about he the whole rest of the day, a whatever day at work, a salad that gave me life at lunch, and an art show. We're going to focus on that last part there, no matter how good the salad tasted. I had heard about an ongoing art exhibition and performance series called Future Feminism happening at The Hole on Bowery.


So I headed over after work thinking, 'Oh I'll go early, check out the actual exhibit, then walk around a bit and come back for the performance of the night (which wasn't slated to start until 8pm).' But ohhh how wrong I was. I got the the block the Hole is on and saw there was already a line. That was the end of my ideas about going in to the exhibition. It'll be on for another week or so anyway but I wanted to be sure to get a spot for the performance. This performance stuck out for me because it was gonig to be by Marina Abramovic of "The Artist is Present" fame, along with many other things. 

Two and a half hours later, I, along with the new friends I made while standing in line, finally filed in to the area and had what some people call, with great gravity in their voices, "an experience."

This venue was to die for

We had our "experience" after seeing naked people being painted in the street. You think I'm kidding. 



I'm not kidding. 

Marina spoke about consciousness and being more aware of the energy you have and hold. Stopping to take a moment and more or less center yourself was big on her talk points list as well. She rounded this out with having us hug strangers that we may feel the other person's energy as well as experience human touch with all the disconnectedness we have in today's society as a result of technology overload. 


If I'm being incredibly honest, and with you all I always try to be, my favorite part was definitely the hugging. And not just because I hugged strangers (haha). It was a great thing to see such a marvelous, female art presence live and in person. I would love to go to another one of her shows. Also, I met awesome people/future art buddies there. Definitely a plus.

Feminism means a lot of things to a lot of different people. For some, it's gender inequality and being able to be bossy without being considered a b*tch. For others, it's equal workplace compensation. For even more others, it's the right to do as you please with your body. All of these things and many more amount to the movement of feminism. This is not a joke. This is not laughable. These are serious problems. John Oliver was very correct in saying that you shouldn't have to relate the victimized to people around you such as your mother or sister, wife or girlfriend, in order to care about the state of women in America and around the world. You should care simply because we're all human. We all have rights that are supposed to be unalienable but not all of us are able to reap the full, or even half, benefits of those rights. There inlies the problem. No matter what I'm wearing I can't walk down the street without getting catcalled. Women have to strategize taking off time to have babies and POPULATE THIS EARTH because they may not get maternity leave let alone be paid while they're on it. People are fighting over whether or not birth control is/should be allowable and available to women everywhere. These things should not be an issue. They shouldn't even be a question. Why a man somewhere who doesn't even know me has the right to tell me what I can and can't do with and for myself will always be a mystery to me. You've got another think coming if you think that's cool.

Alright, I'll stop ranting now because this post is now WAY longer than I intended it to be. But in case you missed it, I'm definitely a feminist now as before.

Notes! I've got another concert this weekend, Beach Fossils this time, and I cannot wait. I've wanted to see them for so long it almost hurts that now I finally will. Also, Scandal comes back tonight. YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND MY ELATION. Lastly, pumpkin spice anything may be all I ever need. Amen for fall.

Until next time lovelies,
xx

Ps. I'm going to a favorite Brooklyn market of mine tomorrow and I'm almost as excited for that as I am for Scandal.
Pss. I'm going to make Roasted Garlic Maple Cauliflower soup. ;) be jelly
Psss. Cole Mohr walked by while walking a dog yesterday. First, I did a double take. Then I was in a state of extreme excitement state for the next five minutes straight, smiling like a giddy child and everything, the whole shebang. So fab. I love this town.
Pssss. I met one of the two members of CocoRosie today. Pretty dank! (does anyone even say dank anymore?)

Comments

Popular Posts