"We would never wear Mistress' clothes..."

So along with the birthday festivities, my mother's present to me was tickets to the theater. I saw a production called "The Maids" starring Cate Blanchett, Isabelle Huppert and Elizabeth Debicki off-Broadway at the New York City Center. 



Cate is even more unimaginably talented in person, however many feet from you than she is on screen. And you better know by now how talented she is on screen. The piece had just the right amounts of humor and seriousness. I absolutely loved it. It ran an hour and a half with no intermission which was just as well seeing as a production that short, cut in half, would have felt disjointed. With no breaks it just flowed, even if it does also happen to make you more tired. This was the stage set-up:


Sitting on the mezzanine level for this sucked for only one reason, that screen that you can only see the tip of there, yeah they actually used it throughout the performance as a way for the audience to get a different point of view... Notes for next time. Get better seats or don't go and see something else. The production itself actually had quite a strong message. It deals with the relationship between a mistress and her maids. One believing herself to be so benevolent and gracious, while the other two perceive her as the devil incarnate and would do just about anything to destory her. They actually roleplay her death, trading off who plays Mistress and who plays murderess, going so far as wearing her clothes, affecting her mannerisms, the whole lot. It's an overall study on the bourgeois upper middle class looking down on those they employ, not realizing that those same people they employ can ruin their lives and are simultaneously the one's most keeping them afloat.

This escapade took place after work on a Thursday. I took the train uptown then stopped by a bakery I'd looked up because ya girl decided a chocolate cupcake was necessary for life.
This is what I had:


IT WAS SO GOOD
Since the bakery I went to was a smaller place, they actually had a limit on how much you could spend in order to use a card. And you know me, I never have cash, like ever. Only up until recently have I started trying to carry it on purpose instead of happenstance. I got that cupcake, which was Peanut Butter Cup and so filling for my soul and a cookie but that still came up to only 6 dollars and change and I needed to spend at least 8. So being accommodating as I am, I bought a caramel chocolate brownie as well. I ate it over the weekend and it might have been the best brownie of my entire life. Debatable because have you tried the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory's delectables? But still, I don't know if I consider a brick of fudge to be in the same category as a brownie. Probably not. Anyway, it was fantabulous.

Theater and sweets, what a wonderful Thursday to be sure.

Until next time lovelies,
xx

Ps. Favorite shows for real

Comments

Popular Posts