For the Film Lover in You.

Good tidings to all!

Did that sound a bit like Christmas? I think so. Well this past week, as you may or may not be aware, was the Tribeca Film Festival. And oh it was so marvelous. 

Last year, I went and saw a scary late-night feature on a Saturday night and actually did get scared. It seems I have created something of a routine for myself because guess who tried to replicate the same thing this year? The scary film I watched actually ended up being the first of three I was to see in total. It's called Emelie and it's about a would-be kidnapper posing as a babysitter until she finds her perfect/replacement child for the one she accidentally smothered. It was creepy in a "this could totally be happening for real somewhere"way but I didn't really get scared. Some parts were just wrong. And by wrong I don't just mean, the part where the baby swiper had an 11-year old open and give her a fresh pad. I mean the part where said baby swiper showed said 11-year old, along with his 9-year old sister and 4-year old brother, their parents sex tape. Like WRONG wrong. The man sitting next to me started a conversation up before the film and, based off what he was saying, I think we are were expecting to get more frightened than we actually did. That was my experience at least. All in all, it was a pretty decent film though. Kudos to the director who looked like he could live on my block.

So I'm in line for the second film of this festival. Not in line for the film itself, I really needed a Coke so I was in line for that. The guy at the cash register was new and immediately I realized I'd picked he wrong line. The two women in front of me couldn't decide if they wanted drinks or not, then the guy didn't know whether to charge them separately or together. By the time it was my turn, I was ready to just throw the money, grab the soda myself and keep it moving. But I didn't because my mother taught me manners. So I tell the guy I just want a small cherry Coke please." He proceeds to ask me a do a want a huge size for 75 cents or something more, I said no. He asks well do I want a slightly more huge size, but smaller than the hugest size, for 50 cents more, I still said no. Then he asks if I have a Regal card and I said no. Mostly because I couldn't remember and didn't care to.* Then he asked if I wanted one. The manager was standing behind him. I was like 'THIS KID'. Said no for the millionth time, took the soda and had to walk off with it in two hands because it was the biggest small I've ever seen in my life. No wonder America is fat. The second film I saw was actually a series of films, shorts, based loosely on New York. Each was about 10 minutes long, give or take a few spare seconds, and there were 8 in total. My favorite one hands down also won recognition which only made me more happy. It's called The Statistical Analysis of Your Failing Relationship and it was marvelous. Not to gip the other films and filmmakers however. To make a shot, I imagine, has just as many setbacks as making a feature film. Hearing from each of the directors of these shorts made me want to try and see a series of shorts every year now as well (there are typically 2 or 3 batches you can see). Before you know it I'm going to be spending $100+ on these shenanigans but no shame because I love movies. Anyway, it was interesting to hear how each director got to the film and how it came about and where they filmed and inspiration etc. Oh if I were so inclined...

*note: I later found out that yes, I do have a Regal card. It's in my wallet. Ha.

The third and final film I saw featured Adam Driver. Need I say more?
Well I will anyway, just a smidge. It was called Hungry Hearts and I'd been looking forward to it quite a bit. Driver is phenomenal no matter what he does and I'm not just saying that because of Girls even though Girls is a really good example. The versatility, not just of Driver but of the three main characters, and their ability to show range of emotion and you getting to see the story from every perspective instead of just the one that makes the woman seem like a postpartum depression crazy monster was what I liked the most. That and staring at Adam Driver's face. Obviously. Can I just say, they had us standing outside waiting for over an hour for this film. It started late and then the talk at the end made it go even later. All in all, in my opinion, it was completely worth it. The film was great and hearing it discussed by those that made it was great as well. It sucks that there's never enough time for all, or at least more than 3 or 4, of the audience questions to be answered. 

And now, in case you don't follow me on snapchat (@ninawillz and yes with the shameless self-promotion because this is a blog about my life for crying out loud) and missed all the great snaps, a photo gallery for your perusal.

Enjoy!

Until next time lovelies (which will definitely be within the next 35 days because GUESS WHO GOT INVITED TO A SPRING WEDDING IN NEW YORK THIS GIRL), 
xx


PS. You guys I love this festival to pieces and as long as I'm alive and in New York especially I am never not going. Doing this only makes me love this city more. I really need to go to Sundance. And Cannes. Man oh man.

First film, pre-film intro

Walking home after film #1
It's blurry and I don't care

Finally a clear shot of this!

Post-film talks with the directors of the shorts

Obligatory bathroom selfie
There was a woman standing to my right washing her hands. I wonder if she saw me.

It doesn't look as big as it was but I assure you, that thing was massive

Last niiiiight

Panel discussion with Driver, Alba Rohrwacher, his Italian costar, and the director of the film, Saverio Costanzo


Hiiiii Adam!

One more Driver for the road

All up in the cut cause it was cold outchyea

Me and this gentleman are besties now

Semi-goth Dr. Manhattan... I dig it


**Note: For the perfect theater experience, attend your film at a theater with a balcony-type situation in which you can have a seat with no one directly in front of you. Sit here. Kick back. Enjoy the film, vision not occluded, cherry Coke in hand. 

Comments

Popular Posts